Most of us might identify the Siamese Cats if we saw it . These cats all have wonderful blue eyes , a cream-colored coat , and points ( the nose , ears , paws and tail ) in one of any number of darker colors .
These are the rather more obvious facts , but how much more do you think you really know ?
Below you’ll discover a lesser-known Siamese cat facts ; and also learn how to care for your cat at the same time .
But first let me give you this quick Overview:
- Size: Males 8 to 12 pounds, females under 8 pounds. A height of 23 inches for males, 21 inches for females.
- Coat and Color: Short coat. Colors allowed in the CFA Breed Standard are seal, chocolate, blue, and lilac.
- Lifespan : 9 to 14 years.
- All Siamese cats are born white .
Characteristics of the Siamese Cats:
Siamese cats tend to be very loving and clever , famous for their social nature . Many appreciate being with people .
So generally they bond strongly to one person . Certain Siamese are very vocal , with a loud , low-pitched voice known as “Meezer” . From which they get one of their nicknames ,that has been in comparison to the cries of a human baby , and persistent in asking for attention .
These cats tend to be active and playful . Even as adults , and are often described as more dog-like in behavior than other cats .
in recent years two distinct Siamese cats have been developed , the traditional and the modern.
Modern Siamese cats have a long sleek body, traditional Siamese have a rounder body and an apple-shaped head.
Siamese cat price:
Quality Siamese cats costs from 250$ to 800$.
However there are hundreds of Siamese cats that needs to be rescued. Unless you want purebreds , there is little to gaine by purchasing a cat with a pure blood line.
Frequently asked questions:
- Is there a lot of Siamese cats in Thailand?
- Why do Siamese cats meow a lot?
- Is it alright to keep a Siamese cat chained?
- Why do Siamese Cats get darker whit age?
- Do Siamese cat cross breeds shed more hair than a pure Siamese?
- Is it alright to put a Siamese cat in a yacht?
- Why do some Siamese cats look cross-eyed?
- Not as many as I would have supposed! You see them in day to day life with lower frequency than you do in other countries.Of course any cat born in Thailand could technically be considered “Siamese” .
- Your cat may meow for lots of reasons Like:
Your Cat may be in Pain
Your cat is Stressed
You Cat is Anxious
Your Cat want to eat
- The Siamese are very independent creatures. They have a higher sense of self importance compared to other breeds . Chaining a Siamese would not only make it hate you but it’s will also get even more aggressive if chained .
- As you can see a cat’s coloring is determined by a set of eight different genes .They’re what tell a black cat to be black, or an white cat to be white. Also there are modifier genes , these can cause a cat’s fur to be patterned in a certain way, or mask the color altogether.
- “Siamese are noted for not shedding as much as some breeds. I had a Siamese that was not pedigree, though the vet seemed to think he was at least very close to pure bred. I have also had one very Siamese looking kitten, and two that showed Siamese markings, but who were medium hair, that came from, in the first case a solid black male, and a solid black female, and in the second case the same male, and tortoiseshell female.Shedding is not determined by breed so much, as by the type of coat that a cat has. All cats, with the exception of those like the Sphinx , will shed some. Indoor cats generally shed less than outdoor cats.Another determination of how often a cat sheds is health. Healthy cats shed. It is a sign of poor health if a cat is not shedding.The best way to deal with shedding is by brushing your cat. For cats like a Siamese, rarely need brushing. American and British short hair cats need to be brushed once a month . Medium hair cats need brushing, and possibly bathing, more often. And long hair cats,like Persians, should be brushed, and have their faces cleaned, every other day, and be bathed weekly. “(written by :Jennifer Usher)
- Any cat can be on a boat with proper care, accommodations and training. The cat should have a life jacket and in the beginning should be kept on a leash ;until it gets to know the environment. It should be monitored whenever it leaves the state rooms of the “yacht” or is outside on deck. In time it will get it’s “sea legs” and become comfortable with the surroundings. But it should be wearing a life jacket for pets most all of the time.
- They look cross-eyed because they actually are cross-eyed. Among the genes of the Siamese breed are some less-than-desirable ones;like a kinked tail, cross-eyes, very small size; skull deformities (“coffin head”), and lowered longevity. They also have a predisposition to lymphoma.
Lesser known facts about Siamese cats:
- The Siamese is one of the oldest breeds of domestic cats and has a long and vibrant history. Originally from Thailand (formally Siam), the blue-eyed kitties were treasured members of the royal family, and images of these cat have been found in ancient manuscripts dating as far back at 1350. The breed was exhibited in 1871 at London’s Crystal Palace, creating an interest in the cat and a raise in their popularity.
- Their Thai name means ‘moon diamond’.
- President Rutherford B. Hayes has a seal point given to him in 1879 called Siam .Siam was the first ever ‘ambassador’ of the breed to the USA.
- Queen Elizabeth II has a seal point kitten as a wedding present to celebrate her marriage to Prince Philip , Duke of Edinburgh.
- Siamese coats will turn color according to the climate they live in. Warmer climate lighter color.
- Siamese kittens are born white with marks growing around four weeks of age . A heat-sensitive gene triggers the coloring to develop on the cooler parts of the body , which happens to be the result of a partial albinism gene . And Siamese cats darken as they age , showing a difference in coloring as the cat grows through adulthood .
- Known for their vocal abilities, Siamese cats make a variety of noises to communicate their desires and needs to human companions.
- Siamese cats can become extremely attached to their human counterparts , causing them not to be the best pet for people who work long hours. You can pick up a buddy for your kitty ; she’ll love chasing her cat pal around .
- A Siamese cat’s eyes are blue because of the gene responsible for the coat pattern also restricts the amount of pigment ;(which is responsible for green or brown eyes) in the eyes.
How to care for Siamese:
The short fur of the Siamese cat is simple to groom . Siamese usually do not shed much and usually don’t demand plenty of work to maintain their coats looking nice . Nevertheless you need to brush your Siamese once a week.
Trimming a Siamese nails:
Why do you need to trim your cat nails ?
Nail trimming is a major grooming process . Longer nails can get trapped on stuff in the area and get a disease . Furthermore , stepping on overgrown nails is unpleasant and can result in an abnormal behaviors of your cat.
Utilize a sharpened pair of human nail clippers or guillotine-style veterinary clippers . Dull edges tends to make the task distressful . Maintain the kitten in your lap and delicately push its toe to get it to stretch its claw .
Trim the sharp tip off of the nail .Warning ‘do not cut the quick ‘ .
If you do its painful to the cat and will also cause bleeding .
Siamese cat names :
Siamese lady and the tramp:
“We are Siamese if you
We are Siamese if you don’t please
We are former residents of Siam
There are no finer cat than I am
Do you see what I see
with my eyes?
People have been baking up some pies
Peeping jumping up upon their window
Though delicious spice we could get into
Who is that who is living
in that wire house
It must be a bird because it’s not a mouse
If we’re sneakin’ up upon it carefully “