All you need to know about Florida snapping turtle
We are asked a lot of questions about Florida snapping turtles , so we picked some of them to discuss in this post.
But before that let me give you some information about Florida snapping turtle .
As you know the Florida snapping turtles are a cold-blooded reptile that can live in both land and water. Also it’s one of the oldest species on Earth.
The ancient sea turtle fossils ever found is at least 190 Millions years ago when dinosaurs are still roaming the Earth.And the largest one ever recorded was almost 3 m in length and And weighting over 900 kilos.
The Florida snapping turtle is identified by a big , large head with soft spikes on the neck called tubercles , along with a dense shell with three dorsal ridges of massive scales ; giving away a primitive physical appearance such as dinosaurs . They can easily be recognized from the any other tortoise by the spikes in the head and the carapace .
Florida snapping turtles have a bulky head in the top of their long necks.Also they cannot draw their heads back into the sell .Instead they have a steel hard bony head as a defense.
The snapping turtles has a rock hard shell that covers its body for protection .The upper part is known as the carapace and the lower part is called the plastron.
Also they have a hard leather like skin. That connect both the carapace and the plastron , called lateral Bridges.
Legs and Tail:
Florida snapping turtles have four strong legs that are covered in hard scales .Also they have five toes in the front feet and four toes in the back. Every toe is accompanied with a long claw to help them dig nests , move and defend against predators.
The snapping turtles have a very long tail with 3 rows of kneels.it’s one of their most recognized features.
Florida snapping turtles are opportunistic feeders , they are going to wait at the base of the lake hidden in the mud awaiting their next snack to go by . that are mainly carnivorous . They depend on either live food captured by themselves and deceased living things which they scavenge . Basically , they are going to consume whatever they are able to find .
they originally eat fish, mollusks.But they are also known to eat snakes, worms,water plants, also other turtles.they are some studies conducted in Florida , of the stomach contents of adult Florida snapping turtles was found to be composed of other turtles.They are true omnivores, and will eat anything they can fit into their mouths.
If you have a Florida snapping turtle you can feed it with all kind of meet provided, including beef, chicken,fish and pork. But dont cook it too much , they love raw meat.
- How smart are Florida snapping turtle?
- How big a Florida snapping turtle can get?
- Whats the Lifespan and reproduction of these turtles?
- Are snapping turtles good as a house pet?
- Can snapping turtles breath under water?
- Since the construction of a turtle’s brain is rather comparable to that of a bird .The turtles , like all reptiles , falls short of the considerably enlarged cerebral hemispheres seen in birds and mammals . Since the cerebral hemispheres are the highest level of the Central Nervous System in the brain that control understanding and thinking , most turtles don’t share the intelligence of warm-blooded creatures . So Florida snapping turtles are quite simple minded if you ask me , you can easily predict there behavior.
- These turtles can get up to 35 inches long and close to 160 lbs.
- The Florida turtle can live more than 50 years . They can reach maturity around 14 years old. Originally they mate at spring,whit the females building a nest and laying from 15 to 60 eggs. So if you want to have it as a pet; you need to realize the requirements of caring for a pet that is larger and heavier than a dog ; and have a long lifespan.
- If you have a children or a pet in your house and you let a snapping turtle in the house with them ; it will be a disaster.They can cut off fingers with ease. Also as a grown snapper is going to need something like whole chickens and fresh fish you need a lot of cash to take care of it.
- No they can’t, but they have a good pair of lungs, like any other reptile. Sea turtles need to come up to the surface in order to breathe . But they do not need to breathe constantly like humans do, they can hold their breath for several hours or even days .
The price of a snapping turtle:
You can buy a snapping turtle From 80$ to 200$.
But there are a lot of snapping turtles in the wild or need to be rescued ; so you dont need to buy one . You can go to any animal shelter near you ; and ask them if they have a snapping turtle that need help . If they truste you , they will give you one .
If you have any question or if you want to add something ; just write it below in the comments and we will answer you as soon as we review the comment.